15TH SUNDAY A

THERE WILL BE A HARVEST

Have you experienced planting a seed? Have you experienced working in a farm? Planting or Farming is a difficult job. Yes it is a noble practice, but it is certainly not comfort and relaxation. The hard part is not the angry hot sun on your back or the constant flow of sweat on your brow. The hard part is about the uncertainty of the results.

Some seeds will never grow. Some seeds will be wasted. Surely there will be some that will grow and yield flowers, or fruits or grain. But then, you have to wait to find out when and how much is the yield.

We all do some planting in our lives, maybe not with actual green herbs, vegetables or trees in a farm or forest. But we do plant seeds in people, in people around us, especially in people we love.

The parable of the Lord Jesus today about the seeds does not mean just literal seeds. That’s just the surface. They seeds and the soil and the harvest refer to people. Jesus is aware that planting in people’s lives can be very challenging and for those who persevere in hard work it can be truly rewarding too.

Sometimes we ask ourselves: is it worth the sacrifice to plant seeds in people’s hearts? Is it worth it to continue to be patient with my spouse and wait for him or her to grow to fuller maturity? How long will I have to stand by my children until they decide to straighten their lives? How much more effort should I put in pursuing my dreams when my attempts have not been too fruitful?

Some people give up because they think the seeds they sow are not growing at all. When we do this, we give up on the surprise that God has in store for us. Yes, it is difficult but like the Sower, Our Lord Jesus, we must continue to sow goodness in the hearts of people and in our dreams, because there will be a harvest. The harvest will come. But we must work hard and trust God even more.

When I was about to enter the seminary, my parents were opposed to the idea. They were dissuading me from entering and my father in particular was furious. Even some relatives joined in the chorus of opposition.

But then my parents asked me: why do you really want to become a priest? I gave an answer that shocked them. I said: as I was growing up, I say the two of you loving each other tenderly and behaving so compassionately towards our neighbors especially, the poor. You planted the seed of love in my heart and now it is bearing fruit. I want to love much more than you do. They did not ask me any more questions after that.

Maybe we think the seed we sow is useless. In fact, it is just waiting for the right time to grow. Work hard. Be patient. Trust God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOLY MASS IN FILIPINO (TAGALOG)

GOMBURZA: BAKIT MAHALAGA?

ANG 12 BUNGA (MGA BUNGA) NG ESPIRITU SANTO